Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Intro

I keep telling myself I'm going to start an actual blog. Not just one of those things that I go type a note on facebook or, back in the day, myspace when I don't have much to do, but an actual legitimate blog that will in all likelihood serve as nothing more than a journal for me to write my thoughts in and possibly see what other people have to say about it. Well here it is.

So me? Let me paint you a self-portrait of who I see myself as.

Well my name is Brandon. I'm a recently-turned 24 year old guy who has been stuck in the state of Utah for a few years too long, but I'm making the best of it. I'm currently a Junior at Utah State University studying Geology. I'm single, which is almost looked down upon when you start approaching your mid-20's here in this state, so if you know any cute girls who might be interested - drop a good line for me huh? Hmm, mostly I'm a broke-ass college student who gets by on eating frozen pizza and PB sandwiches. I didn't start college until I was 21 though so I had time to work, play, build a mild savings account and buy things I didn't need so I've been subsisting pretty well off of having no job the past few months.

My family, by Utah standards, is dysfunctional at best, but I love them. I grew up as an only child to a single mother who always went out of her way to take great care of me. We spent a lot of years living with my Grandpa and now deceased Grandma. They're both wonderful people. Of their kids, none of them really went on to live the whole American dream, but I think they're still great people. My grandpa seems to be under this impression that I'm some prodigy simply because I get by with a 3.0 GPA in university level classes. It's a bit of pressure being that to be perfectly honest, I'm just a pretty typical student. Nothing special, but I'm not dumb at least. My mom supports me in everything I do, almost to the point where it's annoying. I could tell her that I decided to switch my major to Interior Design and she would think I was making the best decision I possibly could.

My friends, well I like them. I've kind of got two groups of friends really. I have my Logan friends which are a bunch of really amazing and mostly brilliant people who I enjoy going out and doing all that Cache-Valley stuff with. Without them, living in this place would be complete and utter hell, day after day. I can't say I am very much alike any of them, but we find out common ground such as Aggie basketball and rockband, and because of these things we get along great and I think they're great. Then there are my Bountiful friends, it seems I see less and less of them every year. These guys (and girls) got me through some of the worst times in my life and they'll never know just how much they effected who I am today. They seem to be all marrying off one by one and becoming more and more difficult to socialize with.

What defines me. Well I'm very opinionated. Opinionated to the point where it can annoy some people and make them not want to associate with me. I go into any debate knowing that I'm right and everyone else is either wrong or just right to a lesser degree. Then when I realize that I'm wrong I typically still try to rationalize that part of what I was saying was right. I'm definitely not a stereotypical Utahan. While I think I am an amazing person with tons of great qualities, my lack of a religious commitment sort of puts me at a disadvantage when it comes to social (especially dating) situations. I'm politically a democrat. Mostly I just believe that people deserve to be treated with respect despite differences we may have. If someones gay, I respect that - let them have their gay marriage. If some Muslim hates Americans and the Western way of life, that's cool. As long as they don't try to push it on me. It's not our job to convince them that we are right and they are not. Guns are stupid, they never make any situation better, they simply elevate peoples adrenaline and emotions to the point of doing stupid things. I tried being vegetarian for about a month this year, because I love animals and I don't see any need for humans to eat them, but it just didn't work out very well because birds are far too delicious. So now I try to eat meat as sparingly as possible, but it's difficult since it's pretty much all you can eat when you go out or someone invites you to dinner.

I'm a bit quirky at times. I take pleasure in doing stuff that I know will get a reaction of confusion out of people. A lot of people don't realize this about me, but I'm an incredibly shy individual. I'm perfectly content burrowing up in my room and reading and playing around on the computer, but I realize this isn't healthy for me and it causes depression, so when possible I try to force myself to socialize. When I do get myself out in social situations I can be a bit awkward from time to time, but I think I do a pretty good job of being liked. I have SAD - this basically means that the Winter depresses me. I don't act myself between the months of January and March. I do, however, know my normal self and who I am and try to act accordingly when I feel it necessary. I feel like I'm an underachiever. I know I could do better than I do in a lot of scenarios. For example I have no excuse as to why I never finished high school and no excuse for why I'm not on a track scholarship to some university. I'm definitely a nerd, as a matter of fact as I'm writing this I'm letting an episode of Enterprise buffer so I can watch it as I fall asleep. I don't really dig video games so much anymore, but I'm always up for playing some old school N64.

Honestly I don't think I could write any more about me at 2:20 in the morning so I'm going to quit here. Hopefully I can update this more regularly with stuff that I find of interest. This means posts here will most likely involve me rambling on about school, girls, sports, rocks and possibly just what I did that weekend.

Oh let's be honest - I'll probably forget all about this in about 3 days and never post here again, but if I do, this is a good start that I'm content with!

No comments:

Post a Comment